Monday, November 23, 2009

Let's talk about leather (and vegan shoes)

Should I talk about leather? I don't really want to. I kind of have alot of it. The couch and chair in my living room represent both my first serious adult furniture purchase...and at least three cows (italian ones if the sales clerk was on the up and up). I have an assorted collection of shoes, boots, belts, and jackets that used to walk around without being attached to me. I think that every suit I own and all my favorite socks contain some percentage of wool fiber.

So, as an aspiring vegan, why would I not want to talk about it? Probably for the same reason that meat-eaters don't want to talk about factory-farming.

I haven't really gotten my head around the issue of how I'm going to deal with this. I'm pretty sure at this point that I am not going to get rid of what I already own...or maybe I will. I'm not even certain that I can completely eliminate all animal products from my wardrobe (though I'm pretty confident that I am done with leather jackets, as the ones that I own haven't seen the light of day in years). I guess it's important to figure this kind of stuff out before I start throwing around the word "vegan."

I can say this, though...I got me some vegan kicks this weekend.


1 comment:

  1. Sweet kicks, dude. I'm also wondering about the leather issue. Is throwing away my clothes going to do anything to prevent the suffering of animals? Is that even the right question to ask?

    ReplyDelete